How to Import Your Hotmail Messages and Contacts Into Gmail?
Let’s find out. It’s easy to sign up for Gmail, of course. Will you be able to import your existing messages (and maybe even contacts) from Windows Live Hotmail, though? Better yet, could you start with all your existing mail so Gmail has something to chew and search?
Yes and yes. Importing from Windows Live Hotmail into Gmail is easy, and you even have two options.
After the import is complete, you can also receive all the new mail you receive at Windows Live Hotmail in Gmail.
Import Your Windows Live Hotmail Messages and Contacts Into Gmail
To migrate Windows Live Hotmail messages, folders, and address book contacts to Gmail:
- Copy all messages you want to migrate from your Windows Live Hotmail Deleted and Junk folders to the Windows Live Hotmail Inbox (or another folder).
- Follow the Settings link in Gmail.
- Go to the Accounts and Import tab.
- Click Import mail and contacts.
- If you have previously imported, click Import from another address.
- Type your Windows Live Hotmail email address under What account do you want to import from?.
- Click Continue.
- Enter your Windows Live Hotmail password under Enter the password for example@ :
- Click Continue.
- Make sure Import contacts and Import mail are checked.
- To have messages you receive at your Windows Live Hotmail address automatically appear in your Gmail inbox for a month, check Import new mail for next 30 days.
- Optionally, check Add label to all imported mail:.
- This label lets you easily find all imported mail in one place. You can always remove the label from individual emails, of course, or delete it altogether.
- Messages imported from Windows Live Hotmail folders other than your Inbox will automatically get a label derived from the folder name. All mail imported from your Windows Live Hotmail “Projects” folder will get the “Projects” label, for example.
- Messages in your Drafts, Deleted and Junk folders will not be imported.
- All messages and contacts will of course still be available in Windows Live Hotmail after the import.
- Click Start import.
- Click OK.